Saturday, October 5, 2013

Scoot: I'm a believer.

In my search for new and exciting lessons that align with the Common Core, Scoot games have been a frequent search result. Up until two weeks ago I had never tried the game. It never seemed to be something that would work for my class.

For those of you who are not familiar with Scoot - You play by putting a task card on every desk. The students start at their own desk and complete the task card. Then on your signal (say scoot, ring bell, etc) the students rotate to the next desk and repeat.

My concern with Scoot was the fact that the ability levels within my math classes are so drastic. If I used the traditional rules of Scoot, I would have students that were bored to death waiting for the signal while others would have to move before they finished the card. 

Then, the other day, as I was trying to come up with a fun way to review place value, I revisited the Scoot game. I realized that the timing of the game was my issue. I needed students to be able to move at their own pace. The answer.............more task cards than students. So I adapted the game.

I put a task card on each desk and then several more around the room. I used two other tables and a back shelf. Instead of students waiting for a signal, they move as soon as they complete the card. Instead of moving in a particular order, they move to any free spot that they haven't visited yet.

 The big thing for the students to remember is to check the number on the task card and be sure to put the answer in the correct space on the answer sheet. 

The students loved it. More importantly, I was free to move around the room helping students who were stuck. I was also able to use their answer sheet to assess their learning. It was easy to see who was still having difficulty based on their answers and how many cards they were able to complete.

I used these cards  Place Value Mystery Number Cards.They are free from Love to Learn over on Teachers Pay Teachers. Go check them out. 

Place Value Mystery Number Cards (5-, 6-, & 7-Digit)

Have you used Scoot in your classroom or adapted any games to "fit" your particular class? I would love to hear about it. I am always looking for new ways to inspire my students.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...