Monday, November 9, 2015

What Are You Reading? November


Today I am sharing an oldie by goodie. My class and I are reading Frindle.
For those of you that don't know the story, Frindle is about a boy named Nick who may or may not be a trouble maker. Nick's language arts teacher inspires him to think about "Who says a pen has to be called a pen? Why not call it a frindle? And so his best plan ever begins which starts a "war" with his teacher. 

My students love this novel. It sets off a great debate each year as to whether Nick is a trouble maker or not. The students get so committed to their view that they dive into the novel to find evidence to support their point of view.

As we finish up this novel this month I am trying something new. I am going to have my students create their own "product" to market. I got the idea from Intermediate Antics.  You can get the freebie here.

What are you reading? Head over to Focus on Fifth and link up with us. We would love to hear all about it. Also, don't forget to see what the other 5th grade teachers are reading.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion. I have heard lots of teachers mention Frindle, but I've never read it myself. You sold me on reading it.
    Brandi
    The Research Based Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's awesome!I loved when my low readers would get their head around the plot twist at the end. Not many books at this level have a big ol' 'wait...what?' that totally changes their thinking, and it's fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...