Sunday, July 21, 2013

Anecdotal Notes and a Freebie!

Anecdotal notes are a great way to gain information regarding your students and a wonderful resource when you are getting ready for conferences. There are numerous ways to keep anecdotal records. The one below is what works best for me. The idea comes from an incredible teacher named Liz who I worked with several years ago when we were both at a different school. I am not sure where she got the idea - probably Pinterest. Did I mention she also got me hooked on Pinterest?

Setting this up is quick and easy and only requires three items - a file folder, tape, and 4x6 index cards.


Open up the file folder. Starting on the left side, place an index card about 1/8 inch from the bottom on the folder. Put a piece of tape across the top of the index card.


Take the next card and place it about a 1/2 inch above the first, making sure to keep the sides lined up.


Keep going until both sides are filled. I was able to fit 14 cards on each side. That allows for 26 students (if you don't use the top card of each pile - 28 students if you do). I like keeping the top card blank - it insures privacy if the folder is left open.


Now add your students' names. 

All your notes for an entire class in one place. You can easily flip to a particular student and jot down information.


Now for a FREEBIE!

Below is a questionnaire that I give to my students on the first day of school. I then put all the papers in a three-ring binder so the information is readily available when I need it. Click on the picture to get a copy.


Due to copyright laws I can't allow for editing of this document. However, if you would like an editable copy of the questionnaire without the cute border, leave your e-mail in the comment section and I will gladly send it to you.

Enjoy!
Kim

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...