Saturday, August 23, 2014

Spark Student Motivation with Homework Club!

I am excited to be linking up for the first time with Joanne from Head Over Heels For Teaching.  I don't officially head back to school until after Labor Day but I wanted to share one way I motivated my students last year.
Last year I started Homework Club. I got the idea from Molly over at Lessons with Laughter. She blogs about it here.

The first day of the month all my students names go up on the homework club board. Their names stay up as long as they complete their homework. If an assignment is missed, their name comes down and is placed in the basket. At the end of the month, all students who remain on the board attend a special homework club luncheon. We grab our lunches and head back to the classroom. We play music and board games while enjoying lunch and each others company. I was surprised at how much I looked forward to these luncheons. It's so great to see the students in a more relaxed setting. If you like the homework club sign you can get it for free from Fourth Grade Frolics here.

My Homework Club was such a success that I am doing it again this year. Here is a look at this year's name tags. I got these adorable frames from Graphic From the Pond. You can get them for free here.

As each month past, more and more students attended our Homework Luncheons. It was a great motivator for many students who might not have otherwise aspired to complete all of their homework. 

How do you spark student motivation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...